<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d15925399\x26blogName\x3dPre-Cal+40S+(Winter+\x2706)\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pc4sw06.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pc4sw06.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d8544817652058964798', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Create a Scribers Guide to Scribing

Two days ago I received this email from a teacher friend of mine, Mr. Harbeck.

I would like to congratulate you[r classes]. Every scribe post I read is like taking part in your class. The students take tremendous pride in creating their posts and are all scribing at Hall of Fame levels. It would be interesting for them to reflect on their scribing and come up with a criteria for making the Hall of Fame. They know how much effort they put into their posts and what is worthy or not. As an outsider teaching 13 year olds who have no choice but to be in my class I do not see the devotion these scribes put forth every day. Everyone takes a turn and does a great job.

I would be curious if you did a "bob" on reflecting about scribe posts. The first to the last. What made a difference from the beginning of the course to the end. My topic was a dry etc one...this is how I spiced it up.

Could they create a scribers guide to scribing?

This is a talented bunch of students. Use them while you still have them. The Next bunch could be even better.


So here it is folks. You've more or less created this art form, now you can write the book on it. In the comments to this post answer these questions:

  • How do you go about writing a scribe post? Do you do anything differently in class when it is your turn to scribe? If so, can you describe what you do differently in class when you are scribe?

  • What makes a scribe post worthy of entry into The Scribe Post Hall Of Fame? Specifically, what should be included in the post for it to achieve this recognition?

  • Compare the first scribe post you wrote to the most recent one. What, if anything, did you do differently?


Your replies, and those of my other classes, will be collated and posted on a special page in The Scribe Post Hall Of Fame. Do yourselves proud. The world is watching; teach them how it's done. ;-)



Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Nederlands/Dutch

6 Comments:

At 6/08/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger abr13l said...

When I am doing my scribe post my whole attitude towards the class changes. Instead of sitting in class and learing what i'm supposed to learn and practicing at home. I try to understand every word Mr. K is lecturing about. From anything that could seem to be pointless to the most important things coming from the lecture.

I also ask every single question I can think of. Even if it is the simplest answer that I know the answer too. I still ask just to make sure what i'm thinking is right now just good enough.

To me what makes a cribe post worthy of the Hall of Fame is the clearity of the text. If the scribe is presented clearly enough that even someone who has not taken the class or even having a lot of trouble with. Can learn something new or begin to understand where they are having trouble.

 
At 6/08/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Manny said...

When I write my scribe posts, I try to make it as so my classmates go, "ohh!" and "yeah that's it right on." That is my first priority because I want everyone in the class to do well, "we're all in it together" (at least that's how I feel anyway). During class, if it's my turn to scribe, I feel pressure that if I don't do well in helping my peers I'll let everyone down. So in class, I open both my eyes and ears wider than normal, and my pencil taking notes on just about everything related to the topic.

The characteristic that makes a scribe post worthy I think that it has to be 'easy to follow and understand' first of all. Then following by 'presentation and creativity' (how well it stands out and is it different from the rest). And last but not least, if it's correct. You don't want to teach someone the wrong way of doing something.

From my first scribe post, to my last, I find myself spending even more time on it. Probably 1hr - 2hr now, compared to my first one which was probably 20-30 minutes. I use as much annotations and colorful meanings along with diagrams as I can, which takes a bit more time. I didn't want the pressure to overcome me, so I sucked it up, and put my all into it.

 
At 6/08/2006 9:24 PM, Blogger Jefferson said...

wWen it's my turn to do my scribe, i come to class even more prepared, with my eyes and ears more focused to Mr. K. I would write down almost every word he would say. And if I wrote fast enough you could see the smoke comming out of my pencil and paper. When class is over, I start thinking of ways to build my scribe. Like a puzzle, I need the right peices or else the puzzle won't fit. In every question, I would try to break it down as much as i can and add annotations. I would also add little notes beside diagrams explaining what is going on.

What makes hall of fame worthy would be the content. You want it to be as juicy as it can be.Add as much detail as possible. Think of it as art work. The more detail put into it, the more prettier it gets. And well explained with easy explainations to that. Add colour to certain sentances to create a link between problems and answers. With colour you can make certain things stand out the most. And for the $20 dollar advise: Creat an opening sentance that draws a lot of attention to the reader. Make it really interesting. And then, end it with an but kicking ending, so when the reader finishes, he/she not only be satisfied but looking more forward to learning.

I remembered my first scribe, I spent 3 long hours working on the diagrams and editing my text. Now looking at my recent scribe post, I can see the distance in the level of explaination from each of them. And it was a heck of a gap. Almost every scribe post i do, the time I take to do this lengthens dramatically. My recent scribe post I believed has a lot of detail and explainations put to it. I am very proud of my work. And I hope all of you are proud of yours as well. =)

 
At 6/08/2006 9:30 PM, Blogger |OTK| ThE MaN said...

When it's the day that I'm the scribe, I tend to be more intent in class. I make sure I get every little thing that goes on in class. And at the same time it's my responsibility to make sure I get what I am learning. Or else I'll be writing about something I don't get, wont make sense.

The key elements that make up a true hall of fame scribe are as follows:

a) Organization - you gotta make sure everything is in order and easy to read step by step.

b) color is a very important one. It helps the mind learn better and it spices up the scribe to make it more exciting to read.

c) Well described but short enough explainations so that it is like you're teaching the whole lesson over agian so that people that don't get it would have a chance to understand when you read the scribe.

d) Nice neat and obvious images when needed would make the scribe exciting and easier to learn for those visual learners.

When comparing my first scribe and my very recent scribe I can see the quality of the scribes improve greatly mostly because of the competitiveness of the other scribers to make the hall of fame.

 
At 6/08/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Emile said...

As a scribe you must to understand everything in that lesson than you usually have when you just sit there and just try to listen. But when you are scribe you should understand and know how to explain the lesson in a way everybody will understand.

The features that makes the scribe post being worthy to be a memeber of Hall of Fame are that colour of text so every reader will distinguish how important that word is, explaination should be understandable with all means,and diagram if ever.

The difference between the last scribe post that I had from the first one was that I spent more time than I spent on my first time because of the pressure that had put on my head.

 
At 6/09/2006 9:13 AM, Anonymous michael said...

When I am the scribe for the day, I am more prepared for class than any other class. My mindset is different and I write everything and understand everything learned in class so I'll be able to explain it easily on the scribe post. What I've noticed is that when it's my turn to be the scribe, the lesson we learned is very clear in my head.

When i do a post, I want it to be noticed and worthy of recognition. So these are what makes a scribe post worthy of the hall of fame. There must be COLOR, ORGANIZED, CLEAR, UNDERSTANDABLE EXPLANATIONS, DIAGRAMS if needed, and YOU WANT THE READER TO BE INVOLVED AND INTERESTED.

The thing different about my first scribe post and my most recent is the explanations. The color and diagrams have been consistant in all my posts. I hope that when you read this, you can become a hall of fame scriber.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home